inference categorical data - hypothesis test

edited June 23 in Student Questions

I"m trying to understand the outline for categorical data.

With regards to hypothesis testing, I'm having an issue understanding the computation for the p-value.

I'm used to using the formula Z = (xbar - M)/SE and going from there, but I can't understand the code. I know the command CDF measures accumulated area under the curve and so on, but does anyone know what the written formula is to solve for the p-value or is it the one I just referred to?

So I did Z = .13-.10/0.0265 = 1.45. The % for Z score 1.45 is .9265.

I then subtracted .9265 from 1 to get p-value 0.0735. What am I missing?

mark

Comments

• edited June 23

@jordan said:
    I"m trying to understand the outline for categorical data.

With regards to hypothesis testing, I'm having an issue understanding the computation for the p-value.

I'm used to using the formula Z = (xbar - M)/SE and going from there,

First off, I corrected a little typo that you had here. You had written Z=xbar-M/SE; I added parentheses to change it to Z=(xbar-M)/SE. That's an important difference.

I know the command CDF measures accumulated area under the curve and so on, but does anyone know what the written formula is to solve for the p-value or is it the one I just referred to?

Well, there really is no simple, written formula to compute the $p$-value. That's exactly why we use a table or we use software.

So I did Z = .13-.10/0.0265 = 1.45.
    The % for Z score 1.45 is .9265.
    I then subtracted .9265 from 1 to get p-value 0.0735.
    What am I missing?

I'm not quite sure what you're doing here. I guess you're working on example 2? You've got the same type that you had before my correction up above and I don't think that your denominator is correct. Let's avoid rounding by just working out the whole thing at once:
    $$\frac{29/211 - 1/10}{\sqrt{0.1*0.9/211}} \approx 1.81286.$$
    If we look $1.81$ up in the table, we find 0.9649 yielding a $p$-value of $1-0.9649 = 0.0351$ in close agreement with the computation in our outline.

jordan
  • Thanks for the help. Other than putting parenthesis in the Z formula, my only problem is my calculator not doing things in the right order. I tried to compute for solution 1.81286 a myriad of different ways and I can't get the correct solution. I understand the logic though - thank you!